Thursday, September 20, 2018

Trailer Reactions #3 - Captain Marvel, Mary Poppins Returns, Venom, Wreck-It-Ralph 2, Smallfoot

It's been almost a month since I posted last, and that's mainly due to the extremely little amount of free time that I've had these past four weeks of my life. But I'm back, and that's what matters. Today, I'll be adding on another segment to the Trailer Reactions post series.

Today I will be reviewing the trailers for Captain Marvel, Mary Poppins Returns, Venom, Wreck-It-Ralph 2, and Smallfoot.

#1 - Captain Marvel


When the trailer was released Tuesday morning for Captain Marvel, I could barely wait to watch it, so when it was time to pick my friend up from her house to go to school, I arrived early so we could experience it together. Overall, I am quite pleased with how the next addition to the MCU looks so far. I am so excited to learn more about Carol Danvers in this presumably epic origin story set in the 90's. Although I have to admit, this trailer left me slightly underwhelmed compared to the other amazing MCU trailers. Hopefully, the next trailer will get the general audience hyped up.

Oh, and one more thing - Captain Mar-Vell (Shazam) and Captain Marvel are NOT the same thing.

#2 - Mary Poppins Returns


I watched Mary Poppins a lot growing up, and that's because it was one of my grandma's favorite films. My grandma loved the original movie, and I bet she'll love this remake. However, being the silly person I am, I couldn't take this trailer seriously because I kept thinking of the scene GOTG 2 with Yondu. Anyways, Emily Blunt looks great as Mary Poppins, and - oh my goodness - is that LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA!? Take my money.

#3 - Venom



I was worried this movie would turn out to be rated R, and while a lot of people probably would have enjoyed that, I wouldn't have because I wouldn't have been able to watch it. Recently, however, it was confirmed that Venom is rated PG-13, so I guess that means I'm seeing it in theaters! I really hope this movie does well. Venom is definitely one of my favorite Marvel villains - he's just so cool.

#4 - Wreck-It-Ralph 2



The first couple of trailers for this movie honestly had me a bit concerned. It seemed like Disney was trying too hard to shove heaps of pop culture references into our faces, wishing to get a laugh or two out of good ol' Gen Z. I mean, it worked; Twitter was blowing up after seeing the Disney princesses. But this particular trailer softened me. We get to see a few more glimpses of what the plot is actually about, but not too much that it gives the entire movie away. That gives me hope.

#5 - Smallfoot



Smallfoot is a cute idea, and I think it has the potential to be a cute kids movie. Forgettable, but cute. It gets released next week, so we'll see how things go. Personally, I doubt I'll watch this in theaters. Maybe on a long car ride where we have to rent a movie from Redbox.

Now it's your turn to give your opinions on these five movies and their trailers, so leave your thoughts in the comments. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh a new Marry Poppins?
    How nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recall correctly, Colombia Pictures (the studio producing Venom) is a division of Sony Pictures.

    Considering Sony's previous track record (especially when considering their history with Spider-Man films) I'm definitely a bit skeptical.

    Anyway, I've been curious about checking out some films over the weekend. Do you mind if I ask if there are any in particular you'd recommend?

    Thanks as always! It's always a joy to pop in and see you've posted something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to admit, I am still a little skeptical about Venom, but I'm really hoping they get it right this time.

      Depends on what type of movie genre you want to watch. Got any favorites?

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I don't inherently prefer one genre over another so feel free to recommend anything you enjoy. I just was curious about broadening my film-watching experience.

      Also, aside from viewing films at the theatre, do you use any other outlets besides that and Redbox? Again, just curious.

      Sorry if this comes across as bothersome at all. I've been getting more into film recently and I'd like to know how to get into it more.

      Delete
    3. Hmm... here's a random list of some movies I like, or that I've heard are good:

      1) The Dark Knight
      2) Iron Man
      3) Up
      4) Mulan
      5) Tangled
      6) Guardians of the Galaxy
      7) Toy Story
      8) Monsters, Inc.
      9) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
      10) It's A Wonderful Life
      11) A Quiet Place
      12) Inception
      13) Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope

      I also rent movies off of Amazon Prime. I have lots of friends who watch films off of Netflix and Hulu as well.

      Delete