Saturday, August 25, 2018

''Isle of Dogs'' Review (SPOILERS)

Last night I finally had the opportunity to watch Isle of Dogs, a Wes Anderson-directed, stop-motion film about... well, dogs. I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox, but that didn't stop me from giving this particular movie a chance.

The film is set in futuristic Japan where a sudden outbreak of ''canine flu'' causes the government to exile all dogs to a vast island full of trash. A 12-year-old boy named Atari (who also happens to be the mayor's ward) comes to the island alone after hijacking a plane in hopes of finding his long-lost pet, Spots. He receives help from a pack of dogs who have also been exiled, and his quest inspires other members of his community to expose a government conspiracy.

An extremely creative concept, I must say.

The animation is beautiful, from the gorgeous landscapes to the smallest of details such as the furs on the dogs blowing in the wind. Visually, the film is a pleasurable treat for the eye.

The characters are unique and likable. Their conversations might even give the viewer a laugh or two: I'll admit, I giggled here and there. Chief, voiced by Bryan Cranston, probably had the most character depth, being an outcast for much of his life in Megasaki City, unlike his fellow canine friends who all fully experienced the company of human masters.

Though the film has a charming personality, the one thing that bothered me the most was the plot. Yes, I did mention the concept of the plot was outstandingly imaginative, but the way it was executed left me - and I hate to say this - bored. The script definitely isn't perfect, and after the first half the movie kind of drags on a bit. I actually fell asleep as I was watching Isle of Dogs in my bed with the laptop. I tried to stay awake, but I couldn't. The plot carries on just a little too slowly for my liking, and the climax was slightly dull. Perhaps it's because I'm so used to the mainstream Hollywood norm of intense action and adventure movies, but I guess we'll never know.

Overall, I'd rate Isle of Dogs 7 out of 10 stars. It was creative, visually pleasing, and had a unique and imaginative storyline that most modern movies don't.

6 comments:

  1. Did you watch Crazy Rich Asians yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but I've heard good things about it! Maybe I will give it a try one day!

      Delete
    2. Have you seen any romantic comedies beforehand? If you enjoy those sorts of movies I'm pretty sure you're enjoy it.

      Cheers! :)

      Delete
  2. So many dog movies this year XD What do you use to watch movies on your laptop?

    ReplyDelete