Saturday, July 21, 2018

Trailer Reactions #1 - Bohemian Rhapsody, The Grinch, The Nun, Dumbo, Bumblebee

Hello! Today marks the first official ''Trailer Reactions'' post on this blog. Trailer Reactions is a new post series I'll be doing where I simply give my thoughts on trailers for upcoming movies (if it wasn't already obvious). In each post, I will review five trailers for five movies to be released in the future. 

In this first installment of the series, I will be reacting to Bohemian Rhapsody, The Grinch, The Nun, Dumbo, and Bumblebee. Let's get started!

#1 - Bohemian Rhapsody


Film Sypnosis:

Bohemian Rhapsody is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury. Freddie defied stereotypes and shattered convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound. They reach unparalleled success, but in an unexpected turn Freddie, surrounded by darker influences, shuns Queen in pursuit of his solo career. Having suffered greatly without the collaboration of Queen, Freddie manages to reunite with his bandmates just in time for Live Aid. While bravely facing a recent AIDS diagnosis, Freddie leads the band in one of the greatest performances in the history of rock music. Queen cements a legacy that continues to inspire outsiders, dreamers and music lovers to this day.

Personally, I think this film has the potential to be a hit. The characters are cast well: Rami Malek seems to pull off a pretty decent Freddie Mercury. If you're a fan of Queen, I would recommend seeing this in theaters.

#2 - The Grinch


Film Sypnosis:

The Grinch hatches a scheme to ruin Christmas when the residents of Whoville plan their annual holiday celebration.

Agh... how many Grinch remakes can there be? As you can tell, I'm not particularly excited for this movie. Illumination produces ''mediocre'' movies, in my opinion (and that's a story to be told later), and this looks like no exception. The animation is fine, the voice acting is fine... the whole movie just seems fine. Just fine. Nothing special. The only redeeming quality I like is Benedict Cumberbatch voicing the Grinch. The kids might enjoy this film, but they most likely won't remember it, and neither will I. I don't plan on seeing this in theaters.

#3 - The Nun


Film Sypnosis:

When a young nun at a cloistered abbey in Romania takes her own life, a priest with a haunted past and a novitiate on the threshold of her final vows are sent by the Vatican to investigate. Together, they uncover the order's unholy secret. Risking not only their lives but their faith and their very souls, they confront a malevolent force in the form of a demonic nun.

I don't really watch horror films, but this movie is giving me vibes that it might actually be pretty good. Good as in plot, conflict, and, well, scariness - all the key elements of a good horror movie. I doubt I'll ever watch this movie, but if it does well, then props to the directors for giving The Conjuring series a great addition.

#4 -  Dumbo


Film Sypnosis: 

The owner of a struggling circus enlists a man and his two children to care for a newborn elephant that can fly.

While this trailer is only a teaser, the movie seems to me like it's just another Disney live-action remake. No one asked for a live-action remake of the classic Dumbo. And with Tim Burton directing it, a lot of people are even more skeptical than I am about the film, considering what he did with the two Alice in Wonderland live-action remakes. I'm legitimately not sure how to feel about things here. At least the graphics are beautiful, as all Disney movies are.

#5 - Bumblebee


Film Sypnosis:

On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee the Autobot seeks refuge in a junkyard in a small California beach town. Charlie, on the brink of turning 18 years old and trying to find her place in the world, soon discovers the battle-scarred and broken Bumblebee. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns that this is no ordinary yellow Volkswagen.

''Oh boy... another Transformers film?" That's what I said to myself when I noticed a teaser trailer was out for a movie about one of the Transformers characters. Then I actually watched the trailer and my view completely changed. Apparently, this film is not directed by Michael Bay, the man who directed the previous five Transformers movies, all of which were pretty much flops. So, with that in mind, hopefully, the new dude, Travis Knight, can make things work with this movie. If so, I might just watch it once it's available at Redbox.

That concludes the first volume of Trailer Reactions. Let me know what you think of the series so far in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. I’m act Ally quite excited to see dumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too many good movies, ehh? - Goldenpotato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping the majority of them will be better than fine!

      Delete
  3. All pretty valid points, but the Transformers films are far from flops. Critically, yes, but they keep getting made because they make massive amounts of money at the box office, especially oversees.

    I know you haven't updating the blog in a while but I'm curious to see if you're interested checking out some older films. Most of the films you're talking about were released very recently or are not even released yet, which is perfectly fine, but I'd be really curious to hear your thoughts on some older cinematic classics.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! What movies would you like me to review?

      Delete